The North Carolina Association of Educators was formed on July 1, 1970, by the merger of the North Carolina Education Association and the North Carolina Teachers Association. Documents were signed at the NEA Convention in San Francisco, California, and the new Board met for the first time.
The North Carolina Education Association was organized in 1857 and the North Carolina Teachers Association was organized in 1880.
NCAE is a state affiliate of the National Education Association, the largest professional employee organization in the nation. NCAE adopted an amendment to the Constitution requiring unified membership with the National Education Association in 1974, effective with the 1974-1975 membership year.
NCAE is an all-inclusive Association with all categories of professional school personnel eligible for membership. Teacher assistants are eligible for membership in the North Carolina Educational Support Personnel Association which is directly affiliated with NEA. NCAE is the state’s largest education advocacy organization for public school employees and represents active, retired, and student members.
NCAE occupied its modern headquarters, the NCAE Center, in 1979. NCAE is governed by an annual Representative Assembly and a Board of Directors. The Board meets about six times a year.