Position: Confidential Legal Assistant with North Carolina Association of Educators Temporary Position
● How to apply: Please submit your resume and 3 references at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=59fc7f52-c895-4bef-90c4-acedc2089c6b&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US
● Salary Range: $45,000 -$55,000/yr.
● Application Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis
The North Carolina Association of Educators is seeking a Confidential Legal Assistant who will report to and support the Lead Counsel in carrying out NCAE’s labor and employment policies and procedures and human resource matters. This position will also support the Advocacy Center’s programs and provide legal assistance to its Staff Attorneys in support of NCAE’s members through client intake and communications, legal research, and legal processing and billing activities. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to think independently and analytically while maintaining a high level of confidentiality in a fast-paced environment.
About North Carolina Association of Educators:
The North Carolina Association of Educators is the state’s largest advocacy organization for public school employees and represents active, retired, and student members. We are building a movement to defend and transform public education in our state. In the last three years, we've led the largest educator mobilization in state history and mobilized thousands of voters across the state to the polls as part of our successful campaign to halt the privatizer-controlled General Assembly’s eight-year legislative assault on our educators, students, and communities. In that same time, several of our locals have also fought for and won historic pay increases for custodians and other staff, secured #shotsforsafereturn for their staff and harnessed the momentum from those wins to propel themselves into ranking among the fastest-growing National Education Association affiliates in the country.
We're on the cusp of restoring North Carolina as a national leader on education policy and are making moves from the Sandhills to the mountains to win the schools our students deserve.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, assist with providing quality legal services to members.
- Research and analyze issues and prepare memoranda and other legal documents for attorneys.
- Work closely with Staff Attorneys and provide legal and administrative support to the Advocacy Center, including maintaining attorneys’ calendars and case timelines.
- Communicate with UniServ Directors and the Instructional Advocacy and Policy Specialist, as directed by attorneys.
- Manage online submission portal, Advocacy Center hotline, and member communication to the Advocacy Center.
- Verify membership, open case files using online legal software, and provide a written summary for attorneys.
- Send correspondence to internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepare and submit travel arrangements and corresponding forms.
- Participate in planning and preparing trainings and developing membership materials.
- Administer legal programs to ensure accurate and timely reimbursement of legal expenses.
- Update and maintain legal programs that support the Advocacy Center.
- Assist Lead Counsel with NCAE’s personnel and human resource matters, investigations, bargaining, and contract administration.
- Prepare correspondence, minutes, memorandums, and reports for Lead Counsel.
- Maintain NCAE’s confidential documents, communications, and files for Lead Counsel.
- Other duties as assigned by Lead Counsel.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree, paralegal certification, or 3+ years of paralegal experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as an administrative assistant or law office administrator.
- Demonstrated experience of working efficiently, prioritizing workflow, meeting demanding deadlines, and managing multiple projects.
- Detailed oriented and a record of accuracy in work performed.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced team environment with minimum supervision.
- Ability to think independently and maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Passion for teachers, students, and public education.
- Experience working with public school, unions, and/or membership-based organizations.
- Experience supporting Labor and Employment lawyers and/or Human Resource manager.
- Experience working at a non-profit or an in-house legal department.
- Experience with analysis of cases, client intake, creating timelines, gathering relevant documents, and cultivating systems to disseminate information to attorneys.
- Strong investigative and organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Legal Files and/or a document management software a plus.
Duration: The position is a temporary full-time confidential position starting in March 2023, with the opportunity for extension.
Location: HQ in Raleigh
- Medical, dental and vision coverage available
- Employer provided FSA/HRA monies
- Cell phone and internet reimbursement
- Mileage reimbursement for work-related travel
- 401k Plan
- Pension Plan (if a temp. position-not eligible until 1/1 or 7/1 after 1 year of service)
- Paid holidays, employer paid life and LTD coverage, and voluntary life insurance
- A generous personal, sick, and annual leave policy, and more
NCAE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected.
Current and former/retired NCAE members and applicants committed to a strong public educators’ association who meet many, but not all, of the qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call Angela Schell in Human Resources at: 919-755-5541.