Organizers with North Carolina Association of Educators
The North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) seeks talented and dedicated organizers to fill multiple Lead Organizer positions across North Carolina. Organizers will identify, recruit, train, and coach building level leadership and work with local leadership to support organizing campaigns to win the learning and working conditions our students and educators deserve while building our locals’ membership and power. Lead Organizers will be on the front lines of NCAE’s efforts to organize the public education sector in the South and will report directly to the Organizing Managers.
About North Carolina Association of Educators
The North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) is the state’s largest advocacy organization for public school employees and represents active, retired, and student members. We are building a movement to defend and transform public education in our state. In the last three years, we've led the largest educator mobilization in state history and mobilized thousands of voters across the state to the polls as part of our successful campaign to halt the
privatizer-controlled General Assembly’s eight-year legislative assault on our educators, students, and communities. In that same time, several of our locals have also fought for and won historic pay increases for custodians and other staff, secured #shotsforsafereturn for their staff and harnessed the momentum from those wins to propel themselves into ranking among the fastest-growing National Education Association affiliates in the country.
We're on the cusp of restoring North Carolina as a national leader on education policy and are making moves from the Sandhills to the mountains to win the schools our students deserve.
- Identify and recruit members to lead organizing efforts at their worksites; train, coach, and support worksite-level leaders to host events, talk to their coworkers, and hone their skills; and build and nurture worksite-level teams of colleagues organizing around around common issues
- In coordination with UniServ Directors and NCAE local leadership, support member organizing, issue organizing, and political campaigns that win tangible improvements in educators’ and students’ lives and strengthen our organization
- Support local membership growth in line with NCAE’s strategic goals
- Identify, recruit, and develop worksite level leaders to build effective team structures and run effective engagement efforts with members and potential members
- Conduct regular visits to worksites in your assigned locals to identify and recruit leaders and members
- Build positive relationships with member leaders, members, and potential members
- Help build an organizing team culture that is innovative, hungry to learn, and inspired to fight to defend and transform our public schools
- Promote leadership and professional development among the team and run an organizing program in your assigned locals that is deeply invested in members’ leadership growth
- Serve as a thought partner to the Organizing Managers, UniServ Directors, and local leadership to increase the effectiveness of our organizing program both in your locals and statewide
- Contribute to statewide organizing initiatives such as statewide trainings and more
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 1-2 years of organizing experience in labor organizing or comparable environments in electoral, community, or movement organizing
- Strong interpersonal skills; a deep understanding of trust-building, maintaining strong relationships, and the ability to communicate with people across difference
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to be adaptable and flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent and tight deadlines
- An excellent collaborator and team player
- A willingness to work nights and weekends when needed
- Reliable access to transportation
- Experience organizing in North Carolina and understanding of the North Carolina political landscape
Duration: The position will run through June 2024–with the possibility of extension
How to apply:
Required Materials: Please submit your resume, at least 3 references, cover letter and a short writing sample that demonstrates skills relevant to this role to https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=59fc7f52-c895-4bef-90c4-acedc2089c6b&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US
Application Deadline: Applications accepted on a rolling basis
This is a temporary Professional Staff Step 0 position of the NCAE/NCSO staff union organization with an annual salary of $59,286.00 per year plus benefits
- Medical, dental and vision coverage available
- Employer provided FSA/HRA monies
- Cell phone and internet reimbursement
- Mileage reimbursement for work-related travel
- 401k Plan
- Pension Plan (if a temp. position-not eligible until 1/1 or 7/1 after 1 year of service)
- Paid holidays, employer paid life and LTD coverage, voluntary life insurance
- A generous personal, sick, and annual leave policy, and more
NCAE is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected.
Current and former/retired NCAE members and applicants committed to a strong public educators’ association who meet many, but not all, of the qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call Angela Schell in Human Resources @ 919-755-5541.